Saturday, December 27, 2008

Ghajini : It wasn't enough

***Pictures taken from www.santabanta.com***


Ghajini is finally in the multiplexes and I was there too yesterday. Our meeting was not as satisfying as I would have liked. It fell down hard on my expectation and I found them both (Ghajini and my expectation) lying there in front of me, wasted.

Without spending too much time on any build-up, I would straight-away point out the reasons why I didn't like the movie -

1) Lack of intensity in the movie.
2) Aamir could have done more. I am not blasphemous but I have to say "God who failed".
3) I have seen and liked memento.
4) The flashback story was too long. Ironically, if detached from Ghajini, the flashback story was better directed than the real story.
5) I was over-expecting.
6) Concept wasn't new for me after memento, fifty first dates etc.

Now, I would point out the few better things which I liked about the movie -

1) Last fighting sequence. Camera work and special effects of high quality. Director still tried to get carried away by over-showing the effects of Aamir's kicks and punches; after all, he belongs to Tollywood.
2) Aamir's new-found physique and his costumes in the movie; but this has already been shown too much so that was not a breaking news for me.
3) Songs are good. Not very good.
4) Asin was a treat to watch. Good natural acting.



The best dialogue of the show came in the end from my cousin with whom I saw the movie. At the end, Aamir is shown among kids of an orphanage. To this, my cousin said "Yahan se Taare Zameen Par start hoti hai".

We both had similar views about the movie but this is what just two people think. We could overhear people at the end of the show - "Awesome!!!"

2 comments:

Anky said...

I totaly agree.The trauma that a person faces with memory loss was hardly shown in d movie.Thumbs down for Ghajini.Aamir hugely dissapoints.

Carpe Diem... said...

I like the pun ...
"God that failed"

But I enjoyed the movie; precisely bcoz I knew beforehand this was Aamir's take on SRK style masala movie.

~ Ankit Bhalerao ~